PICKLED JALAPEÑO PEPPER SLICES & RINGS
This will use the Waterbath Canning method.
- 3 lbs jalapeño peppers
- 1-1/2 cups pickling lime
- 1-1/2 gallons water
- 7-1/2 cups cider vinegar (5%)
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 2-1/2 tbsp canning salt
- 3 tbsp celery seed
- 6 tbsp mustard seed
Yield: About 6 pint jars
Caution: Wear plastic or rubber gloves and do not touch your face while handling or cutting hot peppers. If you do not wear gloves, wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before touching your face or eyes.
1. Wash peppers well and slice into 1/4-inch thick slices. Discard stem end.
2. Mix 1-1/2 cups pickling lime with 1-1/2 gallons water in a stainless steel, glass or food grade plastic container. Avoid inhaling lime dust while mixing the lime-water solution.
3. Soak pepper slices in the lime water, in refrigerator, for 12 to 24 hours, stirring occasionally, I like longer. Drain lime solution from soaked pepper rings.
4. Rinse peppers thoroughly with water. Cover pepper ring slices with fresh cold water and soak, in refrigerator, 1 hour. Drain water from peppers.
5. Repeat the rinsing, soaking and draining steps two more times. Drain thoroughly at the end. Place 1 tablespoon mustard seed and 1-1/2 teaspoons celery seed in the bottom of each hot pint jar. (I prefer to leave the seeds out.)
6. Place jars in the canner and fill with enough water to cover the jars and bring to a simmer.
7. Turn up the heat on the canner to start boiling.
8. Pack drained pepper rings into the jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
9. Bring cider vinegar, 1-3/4 cups water and canning salt to a boil over high heat.
10. Ladle boiling hot brine solution over pepper rings in jars using your canning funnel, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
11. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace if needed using your kit.
12. Wipe rims of jars with a dampened clean paper towel.
13. Adjust lids finger tight and place in canner to process. Cover jars with about 1 inch of water.
14. Processing times – 0-1,000 Ft – 10 Min | 1,001 – 6,000 -15 Min | 6,000 or more – 20 Min
15. After processing, remove from canner with your jar lifter and let set for 24 hours.
16. Check lids to insure they all sealed, all should be pulled down tight, no movement.
17. Use our peppers canning labels to finish your bounty.